The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood


Penelope Lumley is off to start her way in the world. She's 15 years old and apparently she is an adult so she's going for an interview as a Governess at the Ashton Place. It's acres and acres of land are completely foreign to her. To have that much wealth is what isa foreign to her because she was left as a child on the steps of Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females. She annoyingly acts older then she is just a teenager. She meets the Ashton's and is immediately accepted to become the Governess of three children whom she is not allowed to meet yet. And then there is that strange howling coming from the barn. Having a sweet spot for animals she decides to help the poor creatures. She is in for a shock when she figures out the are not the dogs that she was told they were but 3 children completely naked under hefty blankets. She is now in charge of them - children who were raised in the wild by wolves no less. ready for the challenge she endearingly named Lumawoo. She must take care that they behave themselves or they will be sent away. There is an air of mystery to the Ashton Place and anyone can be in on it.

I was unfortunately disappointed in the book. So you already know where this is going but I really think others will like it. I just didn't particularly like it because she acted like she was 50. I think it was the time. Where the women weren't as revered I guess you would say. That and she kept quoting that stupid Swanburne. It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. It would have been more interesting if I read from the kids point of view maybe. It's kind of like the age of Jane Austen. The way they talked to. I just couldn't stay in it. it didn't go in to detail about how they learned or how it was before. Again I would have liked the kids point of view. Lord Ashton kept on saying What? after all his sentences which irritated me to say the least. It just wasn't the type of book I wished it could have been. The end was interesting though. I'll probably cheat and get a friend to tell me what was up with that. I won't be reading the others. Oh well... I think I'm just picky so if you do like the summary I would try it out.

Comments

back to top